Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Citizenship

Recently after sending in an application, I was told that I would need to go Salt Lake City today for an interview and civics test towards becoming a US citizen. I had to learn about US geography and history and politics for the test, but it really wasn't too hard. I had my interview and test at 11am. After I successfully passed the test and the interview, the officer asked if I would like to become I citizen today. I said, "Why not?" So, at 2pm I attended the ceremony where I swore the Oath of Allegiance and became a naturalized citizen. It was a strange feeling, to be honest. I have retained my South African citizenship through the South African Consulate in California and so when I am in South Africa I will still be South African citizen (instead of just a permanent resident of South Africa), but here and everywhere else I am considered American.

No comments: