Sunday, August 8, 2010

The power of hymns

Both Luke and Thomas LOVE hymns. Every night as they go to bed, before the light gets turned off, Rob and I sing a hymn to them. The funny thing is that we can skip anything else in their bedtime routine (such as the bath or the lotion) and they will go to sleep just fine, but if we don't sing, Thomas will scream and scream until we do. I usually bathe Thomas first because he finishes his bottle first. I then put him in bed and bathe Luke. Most nights, at some point, Thomas will start crying and then screaming. As soon as Rob and I start singing, Thomas will go quiet and you can tell that both boys are listening. They will then generally fall asleep within minutes. Also, in church when the hymns are sung it is obvious that both boys are listening very intently. The First Presidency said, "Sing hymns as lullabies to build faith and testimony in your young ones." The singing of hymns definitely brings a special spirit into our home. I'm grateful for the power of hymns. (See Elder Jay Jensen's talk The Nourishing Power of Hymns.)
Luke and Thomas ready for church. (14 wks)
Pants are from Gran and Gramps.

No comments: