Saturday, August 14, 2010

Graduation

Yesterday I graduated with an MS degree (Master of Science) in Instructional Psychology and Technology (IP&T). Many people have no clue what IP&T means. Instructional Psychology and Technology is a branch of study concerned with understanding the ideas, principles, and theories related to the improvement of instruction. I think that the mission statement of the department makes it quite clear:
  • Pursue knowledge and skills in instructional design, research, measurement, evaluation and theory
  • Apply knowledge and technology to solve instructional problems
  • Strive to live, learn, and teach by the spirit.
I took several classes in instructional design, in statistics, in measurement, in evaluation, and learned about learning theories. Most of my classes were fascinating and there were many more I wish I could have taken (and would have if I had continued on the Ph.D route). It is crazy to think that I started here at BYU just two years ago and now I am all done. In the process, I have met many incredible people, had lots of growth experiences, and learned many things. I really feel so blessed by Heavenly Father to have been given this wonderful opportunity.

The graduation was at 8am, although I was supposed to be there at 7am. We filed into the room and after an opening hymn and prayer, two students receiving their Baccalaureate degrees spoke (BORING!!!) and then after a musical number by the School of Education choir, my Department Chair (Dr Andy Gibbons) spoke. We then received our degrees and then filed out of the room. There were refreshments outside and everyone mingled and chatted. Rob and I stayed a while and then went to take some photos. We then got home at about 11am.

It is a weird feeling not to be a student anymore because I have been one for so long. But, it will be good to focus on my boys and not have to worry about my thesis or anything school related, although I am just finishing off a paper to submit to an academic journal next week. That will be my fourth publication this year. (There were two last year as well.)

Receiving my degree
Some of my professors: Dr Sudweeks, Dr Graham, Dr West, Dr Gibbons 

Outside one of the entrances to BYU


No comments: