There are two kinds of faith. One of them functions ordinarily in the life of every soul. It is the kind of faith born by experience; it gives us certainty that a new day will dawn, that spring will come, that growth will take place. It is the kind of faith that relates us with confidence to that which is scheduled to happen...I want the second kind of faith he describes. This is the kind of faith that enables us to change our natures from the 'natural man' into Celestial beings.
There is another kind of faith, rare indeed. This is the kind of faith that causes things to happen. It is the kind of faith that is worthy and prepared and unyielding, and it calls forth things that otherwise would not be. It is the kind of faith that moves people. It is the kind of faith that sometimes moves things. Few men possess it. It comes by gradual growth. It is a marvelous, even a transcendent, power, a power as real and as invisible as electricity. Directed and channeled, it has great effect.
But faith must be faith. One man tried 'experimenting' with faith. He had spoken of his certainty that an event would transpire, and his desires were not brought to pass; the event he so much yearned for did not happen. Afterward, his bitter comment was, "Well, you see, it didn't happen. I didn't think it would."
In a world filled with skepticism and doubt, the expression 'seeing is believing' promotes the attitude, "You show me, and I will believe." We want all of the proof and all of the evidence first. It seems hard to take things on faith.
When will we learn that in spiritual things it works the other way about - that believing is seeing? Spiritual belief precedes spiritual knowledge. When we believe in things that are not seen but are nevertheless true, then we have faith. (Boyd K. Packer, "What is Faith," Faith, Deseret Book Company, 1983, p. 42-44)
Thursday, August 19, 2010
Faith
I came across this quote on faith by President Packer while on my mission. Next month I am teaching a lesson in Relief Society on faith and so I looked it up again. I think it is brilliant!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment