Thursday, June 19, 2014

Things I will miss about Provo

Provo has been my home for almost six years now. I started out living in Windsor Park on the North West Side of BYU, hanging out with a lot of single people. Within six months I had met Rob and got engaged. After our marriage, we lived in the BYU Student Family Housing, Wymount Terrace. We met some incredible people there, some of whom I still keep in close contact with. We had the twins there too. After two and a half years we bought a house in South Provo and fixed it up. While living there for two and a half years we met many more amazing people and had two more children. Now we are packing up our house and moving North to the wild open plains of Montana.

I will miss many things about living in Provo. Some of them are:

The Mountains and the Y
I know there are mountains in Montana and I am glad that there will be mountains there too. But one gets used to seeing the Y and Squaw Peak. I look at them every single day and appreciate their beauty. So I will miss them.

My neighbors
I really have the best neighbors. They will do anything for each other, and that includes us. Whether you need help moving something, cleaning something, checking on something, or borrowing something, my neighbors are there for you. So many times I have needed an egg or some soy sauce or whatever for dinner and all I have to do is call up a neighbor and I have what I need within minutes. If I need someone to watch my kids for a bit, there is always a neighbor who will help out. We've been really blessed to live in this part of Provo.

The Creamery
I love the quaintness of the BYU Creamery. I used to go there a lot when I lived at Wymount, but now I like to take my kids there for burgers, fries, soda and ice-cream (all for $3.80) and they love it too. In fact, the kids and I ate dinner there this last week (while Rob was at a conference). Their ice-cream is seriously the best. I love the "coconut joy" flavor the most.


The Dollar Theater
I love that Provo has a Dollar Theater where you pay between 75c and $1.50 (depending on when you go and what you see) to see a movie. You might not get to see the latest movies there but it is great for a cheap date night! We have gone there often.

Favorite Restaurants
I have definitely acquired some favorites while living here, including Tucanos, Spicy Thai, and Cafe Rio. I'll miss their food.

Views of Utah Lake
Having grown up near the ocean, I love being able to see large bodies of water. Although Utah Lake is not the ocean, I still like being able to see it off in the distance.
View from Rock Canyon
Other views of Provo:

Intersection of University Avenue and Center Street

University Avenue and Mount Timpanogos
The South African Mafia
I am going to miss the South African connections (Rob refers to us as the South African mafia) that exist here. It is such a blessing to have so many people from home here. We're all connected because we share our culture and background. 

Walking to Church
I have become spoiled living here because I get to walk two minutes to church, instead of driving at least 15 minutes to church (from previous experience). I love it because there have been times when I have forgotten something for a lesson and I can dash home quickly or for some reason I need to take a child home, it is easy. I'm going to miss that!

No comments: