Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Rocket and a Prayer

For the twins' birthday we got them a rocket. Thomas has often talked about rockets and how he wants to fly one. He once asked Rob to draw a rocket, but when he saw Rob's drawing he asked, "Why did you draw a tie?" Luke also showed an interest in rockets and loved watching YouTube videos of them blasting off into space. So, when Rob suggested we get them a rocket for their birthday, I thought it was a great idea.

Rob helped them  build it and they really enjoyed that and couldn't wait to fly it. One night I went out with some girl friends to see a movie so Rob thought it was the ideal time to shoot the rocket. He took them into the backyard and they fired it off, but as it came down a gust of wind took it into the neighbor's tree and that was the end of the rocket shooting for the night since it was very high up. The twins were pretty upset and Rob suggested they pray for the rocket to come down and so they did.

The next day they took me into the backyard to show me the rocket in the tree. They told they had prayed for it to come down but it still hadn't come down yet. The day after that Rob went into the backyard and the rocket was in one of the vegetable gardens. He called the twins and they were very excited. Immediately, without any prompting, Thomas ran into the living room and knelt down by one of the crouches. He said a simple prayer thanking God that the rocket came down. Luke ran into the bedroom and did the same thing. I was in the kitchen and witnessed this. My heart filled with happiness as I watched these boys expressed gratitude for an answered prayer (without any suggestion from Rob or me).
This evening Rob and I took the kids to the neighborhood park and they shot the rocket off. It was amazing how fast it flew off into the sky and then landed in a neighbor's backyard. The twins ran and this time found it easily.
Retrieving the rocket

1 comment:

The Averetts said...

Nicky, I have been stalking your blog tonight. I have not even looked at it in forever and I really loved this story about prayer. You and Rob are such good parents.