Sunday, December 15, 2013

The age of three

Three years old is an interesting age. I like it and I don't like it.  I don't like it because kids this age seem to be so whiny (crying about everything!), as well as so opinionated. I hear age four is a better age so I'm hoping that is true. However, I like it because you can begin teaching kids things like addition and subtraction and putting letters together to form words. Far more interesting than just helping them memorize the letters and the numbers. I've started teaching Luke to read (using Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, which is apparently the best tool for teaching reading) and teaching both Luke and Thomas about addition. They love it and I'm enjoying teaching them. Ideas came to me recently on how to do this and so far it is proving to be really effective. Subtraction is next once we've gone up to 20.
Luke working on 3+2
Thomas working on 2+1
Proud of himself for working out what the answer is!
Explaining to me and Thomas how he got 7

No comments: