Wednesday, May 2, 2012

New Job

Crazy things happen! On Monday a guy I knew when I was studying at BYU emailed me to say that a school here in Provo were looking for a mathematics teacher to work just 4 hours a week and would I be interested. I told Rob about it and then said I wasn't really keen although the rate per hour was enticing. The next day he emailed again and asked if I would really consider it. So when Rob got home I discussed it with him and figured I'd apply for the job since it was only 4 hours a week (one hour per day Monday through Thursday 9-10am). I sent my resumé to the lady in charge and then was asked to come in today. I was really nervous but once I sat down with the lady I felt a little less nervous. She told me about the school. It is an international school where students from all over the world come to learn how to pass the TOEFL, GRE, G-MAT and various other ETS tests in order to get into college and grad school. She then asked about my experiences teaching and as I began unfolding my past experiences with teaching and mathematics and what I had learned through my studies, I could tell she was getting more and more excited. By the end, she simply said, "We'd like to hire you. You're exactly what we're looking for!" She then said, "Can you start tomorrow?"

So, Rob' going to watch the boys and I'll get back a little after 10am each day so he can go to school for the rest of the day and I can take over my responsibilities at home. I love that he is so supportive of the things I want to do!

I can tell it is going to be a really relaxed environment where I have a lot of leeway to do what I feel is best. I will be working with students studying for the GRE and I need to help them pass the test. English is not their first language so there will be a bit of a language barrier to bridge, but I think it will be great. My contract is just for three months, but both Rob and I have a suspicion they will ask me to continue teaching indefinitely after that. We'll see. Either way, I am amazed how this just fell into my lap and I feel like perhaps the Lord has given me this opportunity. I'm not sure what it might lead to, but nevertheless it is something that will bring in a little extra cash and will be something to keep me stimulated.

No comments: