Finally Tuesday came and I was excited and nervous. I was excited because (and this is the reason I have not blogged in three months) I have been in a LOT of pain. It seemed to be worse than the pain I had with the twins. In addition, I had terrible reflux and I really had to watch what I ate. I was nervous because who really wants to have their stomach cut open?
I arrived at the hospital at 11am and I checked in and went to lie on a bed with a monitor for the baby and a monitor on me and it turned out I was having contractions at that time. I was in pain, but didn't register that pain with contractions. I had to lie there for a little over an hour and a half. I was so uncomfortable I didn't know what to do with myself. Plus, I hadn't eaten (since I wasn't allowed to) in 16 hours and so I was starving. I felt weak and light-headed. Soon the anesthesiologist came and put in my epidural. That always freaks me out but Rob held my hand. Then I was wheeled into the operating room and I felt really nervous. It didn't take long before Dr Dewey (my OBGYN) cut open my stomach and I felt some tugging and then a nurse said: The head is out. I began to cry because I felt overwhelmed with happiness. Soon I heard a cry and they showed me my baby. He was 20 inches long and weighed 8 pounds and 3 ounces. He still looked so tiny! They then whisked him away to be cleaned and tested and he was then brought back to me wrapped in a blanket. Rob took a couple pictures and then took the baby to the nursery because I had been sewn up and had to go to my room to recover.I was anxious for them to bring me my baby. Rob soon arrived and then requested Stephen to be brought to us. What a little cutie pie my baby is! Well, I'm sure most mothers think that about their babies, but I think my baby is beautiful! I don't really remember too much else from that day. I felt unbelievably sleepy. I could hardly keep my eyes open.
The next day we had to complete the application form for his birth certificate. I completed what I could and asked Rob to check over it and see if there was anything missing. We had had a hard enough time coming up with the name Stephen that coming up with a suitable second name was near to impossible. I had offered multiple suggestions but Rob wasn't keen on any of them. After he finished with the form he told me he had added a second name. I asked what it was (I was nervous he had written down something I really didn't like) and he said, "Don't you want it to be a surprise?" I said, "No!" I like surprises when it comes to gifts and dates, but not a child's name. :) So, he said, "But you will like it." I said, "I really want to know what you wrote on the form." He then showed me: Stephen Gregory Smith, after my brother, Greg. So he was right, I was happy with it. I phoned Greg and told him and he was ecstatic to have a nephew named after him.
I spent two days in the hospital and then my doctor said I could go home. I was recovering well enough and no longer needed to be there, although if I wanted to, I could stay another day. I decided to leave, despite the rest I was getting and the great food. I just wanted to be home with my family. So, Rob came and got me and the twins were really excited to see me. Luke felt really insecure about me not being there and cried if I wasn't holding him. It was hard because I needed to feed the baby but Luke would be hysterical if I wasn't touching him. Thomas was fine: happy to see me, but happy to let me tend the baby too. They do love their little brother and enjoy holding him. Thomas can't say brother nor Stephen so for some reason, he calls Stephen "butt" which is him trying to say "brother."
Anyway, Stephen is a good baby. What a difference it is to have one baby and a bigger baby who feeds and sleeps well. I really feel so blessed by Heavenly Father.

3 comments:
he is so beautiful! congrats dear!
He is darling! Congrats!
Ha ha! I love the nickname. sometimes those names stick...
Post a Comment