Recently Rob and I have had some trouble with discipline with Luke and Thomas and I remembered that there was the book On Becoming Toddlerwise and felt I should read it. So Saturday I went to borrow it from the library.I read a little yesterday and a lot today because it is SO GOOD! I wish I had read it months ago. One of the things I like is that it suggests that with a routine in your toddler's life, they are more likely to be disciplined and obedient. It gives suggestions for how to have a schedule and that you can be as flexible or as rigid as suits your lifestyle. Here are some of the ideas from the book for the schedule, including some of my own ideas:
- Free playtime (the child chooses what to play with)
- Structured playtime (you choose where and what the child plays with)
- Blanket time (you sit on a blanket with the child and together do a specific activity)
- Room time (the child plays alone in their room, learning to entertain themselves)
- One-on-One time with Mom
- One-on-One time with Dad
- Family time (we all do something together)
- Learning time (the activities are geared towards learning colors, shapes, the alphabet, numbers, and so on)
- Playtime with friends
- Outdoor time
- Meal time
- Snack time (in between meals)
- Nap time
- Tidy-up time (together with a parent, the child learns to pick up books and toys)
- Reading time (the child spends time looking through books or a parent reads to the child)
- Scripture time (A parent tells a story from the scriptures or reads directly from the scriptures to the child)
It's a great book and I really recommend it to all parents of toddlers.
2 comments:
I loved Baby Wise- it helped me a ton too! Glad to know Toddler Wise is just as helpful. Thanks for sharing!
such a good book - i read most of it a few weeks ago - loved it! :) let me know how the schedule thing works!
Post a Comment