Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Cold Turkey and Little Love Triangles

So Sunday evening I spoke with Greg (my brother, who is a surgical resident in Baltimore) about the latest hormonal changes and he strongly recommended I get on some medication to stop lactation. Monday I called my doctor's office and asked for a prescription. I got it and in the evening went to the pharmacy to pick up the medication. As I was driving home I took it out of the paper bag and noticed it was not the right medication. Argh! I was pretty frustrated, so I called the doctor's office again and found out that the nurse had misunderstood me. She then said they don't prescribe medication for this purpose and I just need to stop pumping, bind myself up, and take pain medication. I called Greg and after a little research said that medication is a last resort and I should try what the nurse suggested: go cold turkey and just quit. Anyway, it has now been 26 or so hours since I last pumped. It is pretty painful and very uncomfortable, but I'm gonna do it. It should take about a week.

Yesterday I took the boys to hang out with some of the other kids in the ward. They enjoy playing with other babies. A little while after we arrived, Aubrey Sain (who lives above me) brought her little girl (who I think it about 6 months old) and sat her down between Luke and Thomas. Luke took one look at her and threw his little arms around Addysen. I had to pull him off and tell him before he makes any moves on a girl he likes, he needs to get to know her first. But, without much hesitation after that Addysen threw her arms around Thomas, who actually wasn't phased much.
A short while later something happened that really made me laugh. I'm not exactly sure of the events that led up to it, but I'm guessing that the little 2 year old boy that was there took Luke's toy away. Luke grabbed him by the collar with both hands and wouldn't let go. The little boy looked very upset, but mostly intimidated by this 10 month old baby who was showing him who is boss. I found a picture online showing what he did (because I didn't have my camera).

Luke is quite a physical little guy. He is always tackling Thomas and because Thomas isn't quite mobile, he can't get away and whines and complains (and sometimes cries). Luke thinks it is so funny and laughs hysterically. I always have to come to Thomas' rescue because I know he hates it.

No comments: