Thursday, October 7, 2010

General Conference

General Conference this last weekend was wonderful. I must say it is kind of cool being able to watch while sitting on your own couch! My favorite talk was Elder Uchdorf's talk "Of Things That Matter Most."
I think I really enjoyed this talk because it pertains to things I have been thinking about lately. He urged us to focus on things that matter most and that simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. So many times we get distracted by things that don't really matter, but we need to slow down and focus on the significant things in life, such as family and our relationship with God. He said that diligently doing the things that matter most lead us to the Savior and this is the more excellent way.

I thought about how I need to focus more on being a mother and not worry about trying to be busy and doing things that the world views as significant because the thing that matters the most right now is my (1) my relationship with my Heavenly Father; (2) my relationship with Rob; and (3) my nurturing of Luke and Thomas. So, I need to focus on doing those things that make each of these three things successful. I also know how important it is for me to begin teaching my boys about Jesus Christ, even at this young age. I realized that I had a bunch of little cards with various pictures of the Savior so I punch a whole in each of them and put them on a ring. Now I can flip through them with my boys and tell them stories of Jesus. I have also been reading to them each day from the Book of Mormon. Even though they don't understand yet, one day they will. It is interesting how they just sit there and peacefully listen though.

1 comment:

Dixons said...

This was my favorite talk as well! Such good stuff. It's not rocket science, but we always need these simple reminders of what's most important! When can we get together, girl!?