Sunday, April 28, 2013

23.5 weeks

Excuse the bright light...Rob had me facing the sun
This is me at 23.5 weeks. I will have a c-section around 39 weeks, so that makes it 15.5 weeks to go. I cannot wait till this is over. Pregnancy is so hard on my body! And, every pregnancy is harder than the one before.

I was glad when the first trimester ended because I hate morning sickness, just like everyone else who has experienced it. It lasted for about 8 weeks, which really isn't too bad, and I think slightly shorter than how long I had it with Stephen. Then, the second trimester began and it was great! I felt more energy and overall, I felt great. Most of the time I wouldn't even think about the fact that I was pregnant, except for when I was at the gym and could tell I couldn't use my abdomen like before (otherwise those Braxton Hicks contractions would begin).

But, then a little over three weeks ago I began experiencing pain. It was in the same region where I experienced the pain before (starting in the third trimester) but it felt a little different. I knew this pain was to stay the rest of my pregnancy. I felt disappointed it had started so early this time. After about ten days I went to my doctor's appointment and I told him about the pain. He asked if it was connected to diet. I said I didn't think so because the pain was constant. So, he said, it is probably just muscular skeletal pain. But then over the next few days the pain got worse. There were moments where I was in tears because I did not know how I would be able to take care of three rambunctious little boys all day and deal with the pain. Rob began to get really worried about me at this point and began reading up about this kind of pain. He became more and more convinced it was likely caused by the gallbladder and that I should try cutting out fat to see if it altered the pain. So, that weekend I did. Within hours the pain disappeared. So, I thought I would try an experiment and eat a burger and fries for lunch. Within an hour the pain returned and I felt so nauseous. I felt so terrible I went to sleep for 2 hours while Rob took care of the boys. So, that was the last time I have had fat in my food. I have had to cut out dairy (with the exception of the few fat free items you can get, which always taste like something is missing in the food) and meat (which we never ate much of before, but now I can't eat it at all) and anything with any fat in it....which feels as if it is just about everything. I eat mainly fruit, vegetables, grains, fish (every now and then), and beans. I miss ice-cream and chocolate though! I've already lost 6 lbs. in a week, which isn't the best thing when you're pregnant, but my doctor isn't too worried about it yet.

At some point I will need to have an ultrasound and blood work done to determine what is wrong, but for now I am at least able to manage my symptoms, since there isn't anything that can fix the problem while I am pregnant. I skyped Greg this evening and he advised the removal of my gallbladder as soon as I have the baby (well, within the first 6 weeks) so that the problem doesn't get worse, which can be extremely dangerous, especially when we have our next and last child.

So that is the update of my pregnancy. I am just so grateful I have found a way not to be in pain all the time. It really is a blessing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had to have my gallbladder removed when James was six months old. The pain from passing gallstones is SO AWFUL!!!! I wouldn't wish that on anybody! So sorry you are in pain. :(

April said...

oh Nicky - so sorry you were in so much pain! has it subsided with your change in diet? :) You look beautiful as always. :)