Thursday, January 31, 2013

Potty Training

Excuse the quality of the photograph. It was taken with my tablet.

So, this last Monday potty-training began. It was like boot camp. Well, it was just a nightmare, really. On Monday I began giving him lots and lots to drink and watched him like a hawk. As soon as there was an sign of a need to use the bathroom, off we ran and there we sat. Sometimes it would take forever for him to pee even though it was evident that his bladder was full. The day passed so incredibly slowly and many times during the day I felt quite discouraged and wanted to give up.

Tuesday was better than Monday and he pooped on the floor once. He then peed many times in the toilet and I felt like it was a successful day in the end. Even though it was hard, because he seemed to freeze when he sat on the toilet and we'd then sit for 40 minutes waiting for him to pee (trying to make him feel relaxed with singing, reading, playing games on my tablet, talking, practicing various breathing techniques), I knew this was just part of the process of him learning to let go.

Wednesday was then better than Tuesday and I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. Every poop in the toilet made me rejoice because I didn't have to wipe it off his bottom.

Then today, Thursday has been great. We had our little preschool group here and he made it fine without doing anything in his pants, but as soon as they left, went to use the toilet without even telling me. I was so happy and am so proud of him.

I just hope that each day gets better. Sunday will be the first day where we leave the house without him wearing a diaper when we go to Church, so that should be a new adventure. (He is still wearing a diaper when he sleeps.)

Thomas will be next as soon as I feel Luke has completely got it. That might be as soon as next week. But no later than the following week. It will be wonderful to only have one kid in a diaper.

1 comment:

rexlowe said...

What hard work you give yourself Nicks, but its GREAT work neverrtheless. It was so long ago now that I forget how we potty trained your Ma and Martin........
We had a friend whose little boy was not allowed to get off the potty unitl he had done something, so when we visited them, we knew he hadnt done anything because he had learned to hold it by the handle and using his legs and hand together, would go tripping around the house, to the potty noise banging on the floor, pot pot pot bang pot bang.....bang !