We have a friend who knows a lady who has a big plot of land with about 10 apple trees where she doesn't want any of the apples (Gala, Golden Delicious, and Granny Smith). So on Saturday we went with a guy from Rob's computer lab and his family to go pick all the apples. It was fun. The boys played. I photographed Stephen and picked a few apples, while Rob and his friend picked apples. We had hundreds. So we canned most of them, making apple pie filling, apple sauce, apple butter, and apple juice. After we were done we gave the rest of the apples away to about 6 or 8 families in our neighborhood. Rob did most of the canning and I helped a bit, in between managing the kids and taking a nap.
I'm glad we we allowed to pick all these apples because when Rob had to take down our apple tree I was just a little devastated. I'm also we got to share these apples with so many people.
That is the thing I love about having a garden. It always provides way more than you can possibly eat and so you get to share it with everyone around you. We've loved having our neighbors come over and help themselves to our produce. It makes us happy and we look forward to doing it in the summers to come as well.




No comments:
Post a Comment