Sunday, August 7, 2011

Evenings with the Boys

Rob and I have decided to introduce something new to our evening routine with the boys. Every night after their bath and a little extra play time, we all go into their bedroom and we sit there and either Rob or I will choose a picture from the Gospel Art Book and tell them a story and teach a short lesson (all under 2 minutes). Tonight Rob showed the picture of Peter sinking as he tried to walk on the water towards Christ. Rob told them what the picture was about and told them that we need to focus on Jesus Christ and we won't fall or sink. 

The boys love it! They listen and point to different things in the picture. We then kneel together and either Rob or I will say a short prayer. We alway make sure to pray for each child, mentioning them by name, by either asking for a blessing for them or expressing gratitude for them. They then get into bed (and Luke always snuggles with his teddy bear which is almost as big as he is) and Rob and I will sing a verse of a hymn to them. Sometimes they will sing along (out-of-tune) and other times they just listen. 

Then we kiss them goodnight and turn out the light. Tonight as we were leaving their room, Thomas started waving and said "Bye!" over and over again. It made Rob and I laugh!

Both are learning at least a new word every few days. For the last few days Thomas and Luke have been walking around the apartment saying, "Tickle, tickle, tickle." Sometimes they will move their fingers like they are going to tickle me. Luke's pronunciation of the word is a bit off, but it is recognizable. Thomas says it completely correctly and clearly. Earlier today Thomas said "Tickle, tickle, tickle" and then ran off really quickly as if to escape from me, so I realized he wanted me to run after him and tickle him, which I did.

1 comment:

April said...

beautiful...and hence, the Lord sends you lots of children...amazing parents!