Monday, July 25, 2011

Movies and Swimming

Saturday was pretty relaxing. Rob and I watched a bunch of documentaries, mostly on ancient discoveries. One was on Galen, the first surgeon (AD 129-199). The one documentary I really enjoyed was called The Pact. It is a true-life story of three guys growing up in the crime-ridden streets of Newark (in New Jersey) who made a pact in high school to help each other stay out of trouble and become doctors. Now all three of them are successful doctors. The key to their success: devoted mothers and above average intelligence. I love stories like this - it makes me want to go out there and find young kids I can help become a success. Hopefully one day I will get the chance to do that. Right now it is the time for me to focus on raising my own children.

We also went swimming which was fun. I really love swimming on these crazy hot days, but not having a pool makes it difficult. The boys enjoyed it eventually - they don't like splashing or getting in the pool. But they liked floating on the rings and Rob was trying to teach them to jump into the pool from the side (he would catch them) and we were trying to teach them to doggy-paddle.
Luke

Thomas

Luke with Rob and Thomas with Nicky
Then yesterday I gave a talk in church and Rob and the boys sat on the front row. The boys made me laugh because they were waving at me, holding their arms out to me, talking loudly to me, and so on, while I sat on the stand.

No comments: