Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My birthday

So, my birthday has been fabulous!

Firstly, Rob has been spoiling me so much. A week ago I received gift #1: a haircut. So, he came along because he wanted to make sure that the hairdresser didn't give me a Utah haircut. It was funny because at one point she did style it a bit like that. Anyway, then on Saturday Rob gave me gift #2: a bicycle. I was over the moon about it. I have been wanting a bike for a while because (1) I really would like to get in shape; and (2) Rob has a bike and I think it would be so much fun going cycling together. So, we went for a short ride up City Creek Canyon. It was really nice, although my butt hurt quite a bit the next day!!! :) But, the more I ride, the more I'll get used to it. Today Rob came over and gave me gift #3: there is a picture of Jesus Christ called the Gentle Healer, painted by Greg Olsen, which I have always loved...so Rob got me that picture, which we will have framed and in our first home. I was so amazed how thoughtful Rob is and that he is able to pick out the most perfect gifts for me. I received a text yesterday saying gift #4 is on its way: a new cellphone and 2-year contract. I really do feel spoilt by my man! :)

Last night I went out for dinner with some friends: Candice, Rachel, Suzanne, Tasha, Lauren, and Rob came too. We went to a restaurant in Orem called Thai Chili Gardens. It was lots of fun and the food was good. Thai food is probably my most favourite food in the world...especially what I had: Phad Thai. When we came home Candice baked a yummy chocolate cake which we ate and then we played Five Crowns - a game I quite enjoy, although I lost last night.

This morning I met up with Jacqueline du Plessis and Jana (a friend in my program) and they gave me a card and had made yummy chocolate chip cookies. So we had cookies and milk - YUM. Then, I went to class and that was fine.

At 1pm I went to lunch with the South African Ambassador to the USA, Welile Nhlapo. He was making a visit to Utah and gave a talk to BYU students and then a few people were invited to have lunch with him. I had RSVPed a while back but had actually forgotten until I was emailed yesterday. I was placed at his table and so we talked a fair amount. As the other people at the table were asking him about South Africa, such as what do South Africans think of Winnie Mandela? and has South Africa managed to completely eradicate Apartheid? and what are your thoughts on Zuma?, he would often ask me to express my thoughts on these matters as well. That was fun! It is funny because politically, I'm completely apolitical. I'm just not interested and here I was explaining about the political situation and history in South Africa. To be honest, I was actually very impressed with his answers because he didn't portray a "black" or "white" view but rather he was neutral in terms of race. I did think his views on Zuma were pretty amusing...and true.

Then, Rob came over and we watched a movie and then went out to dinner at the Brick Oven. They have the best pizza I have tasted in the US. I guess it remnds me a lot of the pizza at home. The servers then came and sang to me and I received a free chocolate mousse, which was MASSIVE!!

So, all in all, it was a really great birthday!!! :)

No comments: