My accent
I always get people to try guess where I'm from...most say England, Australia or New Zealand. It is rare for someone to say South Africa. Some people know one or two South Africans who are living here in Provo... apparently there are quite a few South Africans, but when people say, "Do you know...?" I rarely have heard of the person. But, then they comment on how my South African accent is weaker in comparison to their friend. Ok, so some of the answers give away how some people in Utah have NO clue about the rest of the world. :) One guy asked if I was from Russia. I said, "No, think Africa." So he then asked, "Jerusalem?" I was dumbfounded. Anyway, it is pretty amusing hearing people's guesses.
I'm finding that I have to change the way I say certain words in order to have myself understood. For instance, a couple weeks ago I was trying to make an appointment at 11:30. So, when I said, "eleven thirty," the lady on the phone said, "Okay, I've got you down for eleven fifty." I said, "No, eleven thirty please." She then said, "That's what I said, eleven fifty." So, I finally said, "Let me try this one more time: eleven thirrrrrty" (using an American accent). She finally knew what I was saying. I also have to pronounce ranch (as in ranch dressing) differently otherwise people don't know what I'm saying. Another word I have to say differently is inquiry.
My lack of vocabulary
I have also found that I have to change some of the words I use so that I can be understood. Soon after I arrived, I was in the BYU bookstore looking for a diary. As I was looking at the various options available to me, a guy came up to me and tried to convince me to buy a Franklin Covey one. I said to him that I don't want my diary to be in a file because I'm not that organised. Anyway, he stared at me blankly and continued to try convince me to buy the one he was buying. Eventually I figured out that he hadn't understood me because I had been using the wrong words. So I eventually told him I didn't want my planner to be in a binder. He then said ok, and left.
I have encounted such situations several times as I used the wrong words. I guess because in South Africa we watch a lot of American tv and movies I understand what they are saying when they speak but these words aren't necessarily what comes to mind when I speak.
planner = diary
binder = file
file = something that goes into a filing cabinet
apartment = flat
elevator = lift
gas = petrol
truck = bakkie
sidewalk = pavement
pavement = road
jelly = jam
jello = jelly
...and so on...
3 comments:
I love this!! So funny! I can really relate to it, since I felt that way when I moved to London.
So...what IS a "diary"? :)
Sadly, when I first got to this country I had to change the way I spoke - vocabulary and accent - in order to be understood. Thus I have some kind of mangled/mutt accent! Not funny. :) I guess since being back in SA my accent has got more South African, so being back here again I get the same guesses as you do. Not one person has suggested SA, although I England and Australia are very popular!
Post a Comment